Saturday, July 26, 2014

Questions and Comments from Flight 2359

Maybe I'm becoming cynical, maybe I'm mean, and maybe I'm just incredibly jet-lagged. But yesterday on my flight to see Krista in San Jose, I found myself sitting next to an 18-year-old who I had absolutely no patience for. I had planned to spend the time finishing up a few blog posts, reading, and working on some teaching things for next year (you can find a few in my new teachers-pay-teachers store! I made my first sale!). Anyways, after a layover in Minneapolis and on my second flight of the day, I found myself with a finished book and a dead computer. How to occupy my time? Why, make a list of all the ridiculous questions, comments, and actions of the boy who'd sat next to me on the previous flight of course!

image
Anastasia just gets me.

image by 20somethingsproblems


*Quick note: many, maybe even most, of these are perfectly acceptable questions to ask while getting to know someone. But when rapid-fired over the course of two hours when it's not even 7 in the morning? No. Italics will represent actions.

*Other quick note: Yes, I do have boundary issues when it comes to flying. There is only so much space in those little seats and I get territorial. I also don't like strangers touching my face.


  • You wear contacts.
  • Is your hair red or brown?
  • Touches hair on right side of my head This part of your hair that has light on it is red, but over here without the light (touches other side) is just brown. 
  • What's your favorite subject?
  • What's the best part of college?
  • Why do we even have to buckle in on an airplane? If we crash it's not going to do anything.
  • If you could be in any movie what would it be? What about show?
  • Do you like trees?
  • Your nails and folder are pink. What other pink things do you have?
  • What are your dreams for the future?
  • If you could do anything today what would it be? (We're on a flight to California that I'm really excited about so I say go to California). What about world peace?!
  • Do you have to shave your legs everyday?
  • Where'd you get that scar?
  • Do you want a cookie? (Keeps putting cookie on my tray, I say no thank you, I don't want your cookie). Why won't you just eat the cookie!?
  • You'd rather read than talk?
  • You have humongous eyes. But not like an alien!
  • Leans directly into my seat to look out the window.
  • Are you wearing socks? Don't your feet get sweaty?
  • I'm sorry. I keep looking in your eyes. Some people don't like that.
  • I have a friend named Jesye and you both look the same. Except her hair is darker and she doesn't have freckles. Do you know her?
  • Are you a right brain or left brain person?
  • Can I watch you type?
  • What's in that desktop folder?
  • What does that mean? (Pointing at something I'm typing)
  • The face you just made just made my day. (I ask what face?) I don't remember.
  • Hopefully you look the same when you're 50.
  • Why are you a teacher?
  • Don't you think teachers should do a better job and actually make sure kids learn important things?
  • I can tell you're a teacher because you smile a lot.
  • Since you're short does your neck hurt when you fly? 
  • How to you sleep on a flight? Shows me different ways someone might sleep. Like this? Like this?
  • How many inches tall are you?
  • Do you like flying?
  • Boops me on the nose because that's apparently where most of my freckles are.
  • We're probably going to crash and die.
  • Are you a democrat or republican?
  • Who did you vote for in the last election?
  • Brushes hair off my face.
  • Why did you buy that ring?
  • What did you go to college for? (I say childhood/early childhood education and literacy) Am I literate? Was that not a literate thing to say?
  • Jesye. Jesye Jesye. I just like saying your name. 
I tried my absolute hardest to be friendly the whole time but oh my gosh, GRKJDPASOIJFPOQIEJPKEJD:QWKLJD:WQLKJ:KQLWJ!!!!


http://howdoiputthisgently.tumblr.com/post/80637057499
Me on the inside.
image by howdoiputthisgently?

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha wow, I hate chatty people..specilly the kind that can't take a hint. Like chatty cab drivers, I mean cool if you ask a couple of things but then they start talking and asking other stuff just gets awkward. I try to sedn hints that I don't want to talk anymore like, read or even put my earphones and yet certain people don't get it!

    Wow, I can't say if the guys was hitting on you by any chance or was just chatty

    ReplyDelete